top of page
About the Council
Founded in 1970, the Council is a 501(c)3 organization that provides a voice to the city on Irvington issues such as public services and zoning and works to improve the community and the lives of its residents. Highlights of the Council’s efforts include the annual Halloween Festival, Irvington Winter Luminaria, partnership with the Emerging Leaders Scholarship and the Irvington Legacy Project. The Council meets monthly, except in December, on the third Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. in the lower level of the Irvington Presbyterian Church, 55 S. Johnson Avenue. The public is encouraged to attend. If a member of the public wishes to present at a monthly meeting, please email the council for approval and addition to the next meeting agenda. The Council is made up of members of the Irvington neighborhood serving the community.
Please send requests for meeting minutes to email@example.com
The District of Irvington
Irvington is a historic suburb of Indianapolis located on the western edge of Warren Township, approximately five miles east of downtown. The district is roughly bounded by:
North: East 10th Street
East: South Kitley Avenue and North Edmonson Avenue
South: Brookville Road
West: Emerson Avenue
A portion of Irvington has been designated as a historic district which is roughly bounded by:
North: Pleasant Run Parkway, South Drive on the north
South: the northern edge of the B & O Railroad right-of-way
East: the west curbline of Arlington Avenue on the east
West: the east curbline of Emerson Avenue on the west
Irvington was founded by Jacob Julian and Sylvester Johnson, who developed 300 acres into residential plots four miles east of Indianapolis. Named after 19th century writer Washington Irving and was annexed by the city of Indianapolis in 1902. Western Christian University (now Butler University) relocated to Irvington in 1873 and stayed there until 1928.
Irvington is located five miles (8 km) east of downtown Indianapolis on the western edge of Warren Township. The neighborhood is situated on Washington Street which is the route of the Historic National Road, a National Scenic Byway. US 40 was formerly routed along the road. Through the early 1900s, a commuter rail/trolley system ran from Irvington to downtown Indianapolis along US 40.
Irvington is the largest locally protected historic district in Indianapolis. The district includes roughly 2,800 buildings and about 1,600 parcels of land. Seventy-eight percent of Irvington homes were built before 1960. Irvington began petitioning its residents in 2001 through the efforts of the Irvington Community Council. The Irvington Historic District Neighborhood Plan was adopted by the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission on October 4, 2006.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy
The Historic Irvington Community Council is committed to building, growing, and sustaining a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, both within our organization and in the Irvington neighborhood. We embrace differences in race, age, ability, ethnicity, language, national origin, family or marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our neighborhood and organization unique.
As part of this commitment, we ensure that HICC:
Is free from discrimination, harassment, and bullying
Includes and values all perspectives and diverse viewpoints
Communicates respectfully both internally and externally
Immediately and appropriate addresses any breaches of this culture
bottom of page